Start your newborn off with healthy sleep habits from the start. Newborn babies are not developmentally ready for formal sleep training, however there are many things that parents can do from the start to lay down a foundation to develop healthy sleep habits. Developing these healthy sleep habits from the start will eliminate the need to sleep coach/ train later.
Once your baby is born, you as a parent are on your own for the most part. Aside from friendly and perhaps not so friendly advice you may have received from well-meaning relatives and friends (unless you attended my workshop), you likely have little preparation for what to expect with regards to sleep in the newborn period. This consultation is designed to give you the skills and confidence to gently shape your newborn’s sleep habits from day one. Regardless of your parenting choices and feeding methods, Shelley is sensitive to all parenting styles and will find a plan that works for you and your family.
Prior to the consult, you will complete a detailed history form and keep a log for four days (only for those babies already born). Those will be returned to Shelley at least 48 hours prior to your consultation.
During the 90 minute consultation (in home, or via Skype, FaceTime, or WebEx) we will cover the following:
• Infant sleep basics (cues, normal newborn behaviour, temperament, establishing positive sleep associations, developmental changes etc…)
• Learn about what your baby’s sleep needs are: both quality and quantity of sleep
• Calming techniques
• How to establish gentle, flexible newborn routines now to shape healthy sleep habits later
• Coping strategies for sleep deprived parents
• Creating a sleep friendly- sleep space (review current sleep space and make suggestions)
• Dealing with newborn
By the time we are finished you will have personalized information, skills, and feedback based on your unique needs as a family.
After the consultation you will have 3 follow up calls or emails for questions.