Start your new baby off with healthy sleep habits. Newborn babies are not developmentally ready for formal sleep training, however it is not an all or nothing approach. There are loads of strategies that parents can use from the start to lay down a foundation to develop healthy sleep habits. Developing these healthy sleep habits from the start will eliminate the need to sleep coach/ sleep train later. Even if you do need assistance down the road, it’s much easier to implement with a good foundation.
Once your baby is born, you as a parent are on your own for the most part. Aside from friendly and perhaps not so friendly advice you may have received from well-meaning relatives and friends, you likely have little preparation for what to expect with regards to sleep in the newborn period. This consultation is designed to give you the skills and confidence to gently shape your newborn’s sleep habits from day one. Regardless of your parenting choices and feeding methods, Shelley is sensitive to all parenting styles and will find a plan that works for you and your family.
During the 90 minute consultation we will cover the following:
• Infant sleep basics (cues, normal newborn behaviour, temperament, establishing positive sleep associations, developmental changes etc…)
• Learn about what your baby’s sleep needs are: both quality and quantity of sleep
• Calming techniques
• How to establish gentle, flexible newborn routines now to shape healthy sleep habits later
• Coping strategies for sleep deprived parents
• Creating a sleep friendly- sleep space (review current sleep space and make suggestions)
• Dealing with newborn
By the time we are finished you will have personalized information, skills, and feedback based on your unique needs as a family.
After the consultation you will have 3 follow up calls or emails for questions.
Consultation location options:
- Online using Skype, Zoom or other video service
- In-Person: price includes in home if you live in Durham Region. Add $50 for in-home if you live outside Durham but east of Yonge St.